Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, September 30, 2009

    Wednesday devotional

    Wednesday Devotional


    Preparing for Revival: Why we fast Kings and commoners, priests and prophets, and cities and nations fasted in the Bible. Revivals and renewals are recorded as occurring during or directly after a fast. Paul fasted three days prior to his conversion experience and Cornelius was fasting when an angel appeared to him prior to his conversion. Jesus expected us to fast. He said that his followers would fast when the Bridegroom would no longer be with them and Matthew 6:16 records Him as saying, “When you fast…


    Why do we fast?


    First, fasting is a matter of the heart. Joel 2:12 says “return to me with all your heart, with fasting.” This means fasting is an expression of wholeheartedness. It is us telling God we have fully come to him and we are fully committed to him. It is telling making it about God and not about the physical. Fasting is us showing God we have put the Kingdom ahead of our desires, and that his glory supersedes our purpose.


    Second, fasting brings focus. Jeremiah 29:13 says “You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart.” Fasting helps us temper our desires and get rid of distractions. At the same time, we can be spiritually empowered. Fasting is to help bring spiritual clarity. It removes distractions so we can focus our intentions on prayer and seeking God’s will. Think about it…if you fast you become hungry! The hunger pangs are a reminder for you to turn towards God and give over to him whatever issue you are presenting or seeking. Fasting overshadows all the other distractions in our life and allows us to focus on one thing: seeking his will!

    Finally, fasting brings humility. James 4:10 says, “Humble yourselves before the Lord, and he will lift you up.” By denying the worldly part of eating, we are firmly stating our full faith and trust is in God. As I have said before, we are accustomed to having enough. We cannot imagine being without, and we pridefully take full credit for the blessings in our life. Fasting reminds us that God is almighty, powerful, and the Wonderful Maker. It helps us realize how much he has blessed us.

    Be prepared for renewal!


    Today’s prayer:

    Father God,


    You are my provider. You are sufficient for all my needs. It is because of you that I live; you give me life! To know your wonderful riches is beyond my wildest imagination!


    Lord of my life – I want to do your will, but so many times I fall short. Please show me how to live my life according to your will and not my own. I ask for wisdom, and I believe you will answer my prayer.


    Lord, I want to know your glory! Allow me to worship you with prayer and fasting. I come before you – broken and needy – to know you and to seek your face. Thank you for loving me!


    In the name of Jesus,


    Amen.


    Step 5 to fasting: Prepare through knowing why we fast. Read this passage from Isaiah and pray over the reasons listed here:

    “Is this the kind of fast I have chosen,
    only a day for a man to humble himself?
    Is it only for bowing one's head like a reed
    and for lying on sackcloth and ashes?
    Is that what you call a fast,
    a day acceptable to the LORD ?

    "Is not this the kind of fasting I have chosen:
    to loose the chains of injustice
    and untie the cords of the yoke,
    to set the oppressed free
    and break every yoke?

    Is it not to share your food with the hungry
    and to provide the poor wanderer with shelter—
    when you see the naked, to clothe him,
    and not to turn away from your own flesh and blood?”

    Isaiah 58:6-8, NIV


    His grace is enough!



    Pastor Michael

    No comments: