Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter

    Wednesday, September 30, 2009

    Tuesday devotional

    This is the devotional we sent out yesterday...it got a little crazy and I did not get it posted. I will post today's devotional later this afternoon...

    Preparing for Revival: Spiritual Preparation for Fasting

    Preparing for revival is not just about getting dressed and showing up on time. Revival is about change, and we want to change from the inside out. If we truly want to change from the inside out, we must prepare from the inside out.


    We are not accustomed to doing without. We live in times of plenty, and there are very few people who experience true hunger. This is the day and age of fast food and credit cards, and that means for most people there is usually a meal just around the next corner. There are those who sometimes do experience hunger and I certainly do not want to ignore their plight. Even this points to our need to rely on God. For the most part, hunger is transient at its worst.


    Satan uses our prosperity against us. He has used the very blessings God has given us to distract us from the gaping holes we have in our lives. We have been conditioned to not ever lack for anything, and because of this we forget the hunger we are to have for God. We continue to pour junk into the gaps in our lives, only to realize there is only one thing that can truly fill us.


    Fasting – allowing ourselves to feel physical hunger – helps us ignore life’s distractions so we can concentrate on God and his plans. Fasting allows us to let go of the gap-fillers and hold fast to the cross. Fasting brings focus.


    In order to honor God through fasting, we must be prepared.


    The first step to spiritual preparation is to spend time – devoted, one-on-one time – in prayer with God. Every fast in the Bible was accompanied by prayer. Fasting should never be done as a stand-alone method of worship. Instead, it should be done with a heart properly prepared through prayer.

    The second step is to examine your heart and detect any unconfessed sin. Scripture records that God always requires His people to repent of their sins before He will hear their prayers. King David said:

    Come and hear, all of you who reverence the Lord, and I will tell you what he did for me: For I cried to him for help, with praises ready on my tongue. He would not have listened if I had not confessed my sins. But he listened! He heard my prayer! He paid attention to it!

    Blessed be God who didn't turn away when I was praying, and didn't refuse me his kindness and love. (Psalm 66:16-20)

    In your prayers, confess not only obvious sins, but less obvious ones as well. Remember there are two kinds of sin: the sins of commission (things we do against God’s will), and sin of omission (things we fail to do to that are God’s will). Our sin is usually part and parcel with worldly-mindedness, self-centeredness, spiritual indifference, and unwillingness to share your faith in Christ with others. Sin can also be failing to spend sufficient time in God's Word and in prayer, a poor relationship with your spouse, your children, your pastor, or other members of your church. Confess these things and commit to turning away from them and towards God.

    Be prepared for renewal!


    Today’s prayer:


    Father God,


    Your grace and beauty are beyond my comprehension! I cannot fathom the depth of your love, and I cannot begin to measure how much you love me. I desperately want to please you and honor you.


    Lord, I need your forgiveness. I want to experience change in my life and I know sin can block revival. There are so many ways in which I fall short of your glory. I confess these things before you now, and I seek your help in turning away from them. Thank you for dying for me, and thank you for forgiving me.


    Lord Jesus, I am ready for change. Help me prepare to receive your direction in my life. I ask for your inspiration as I seek you through fasting and prayer. Thank you for blessing me.


    In the name of Jesus,


    Amen.


    Step 3 to fasting: Pray

    Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:6-7


    Step 4 to fasting: Confess and seek forgiveness

    “If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.” 1 John 1:9


    Tomorrow: Why we fast.


    His grace is enough!



    Pastor Michael

    No comments: